Mechanical Engineering Lead
Basic Job Function
Provide technical oversight over engineering development projects related to Mechanical Engineering to ensure technical requirements and program schedule commitments are achieved.
Scope of Duties / Job Description:
- This job is a full-time and on-site position.
- Leads engineers/design/drafting personnel on large or numerous programs. Provides guidance or otherwise assists individuals in the section with resolution of project technical issues.
- Coordinates technical support tasks with Electrical Engineering on board level and chassis level projects.
- Support manufacturing with various design-related issues.
- Provides technical oversight and mentors employees performing professional technical duties related to Mech. Engineering.
- Maintains some liaison with customers supporting groups in the company and customer personnel to answer inquiries, exchange information and resolve technical difficulties associated with projects.
- Checks work of MCAD team. Ensures the design and drafting support, documentation and associated engineering support services are performed in-line with departmental and industry practices.
- Maintain accurate weekly project status for Mechanical Engineering related task to internal program management tool.
- Provides new ideas relating to drafting procedures, method and techniques to reduce cost and/or improve quality.
- Supports continuous improvement initiatives; implements the Mechanical Design Process; and adheres to the Company Quality System.
- Maintains knowledge in area of specialization, keeps abreast of developments in the field.
- Perform miscellaneous duties and projects as assigned and required
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related technical field is preferred.
- 8+ years related work experience.
- Experience developing mechanical requirements, designs, validation of products, and product integration required.
- Experience using state-of-the-art technology, principles, tools and concepts required.
- Experience with mechanical development lifecycle and development processes and procedures required.
- Working knowledge of commercial and military specifications/standards related to mechanical design and documentation.
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings, run-lists, and schematics required.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency using Solidwords CAD package a must.
- Good working knowledge of dimensioning and geometric tolerances
- Exhibit sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing and coordinating with company personnel, customers and suppliers.
- General knowledge of standard design principles related to sheet metal and machining manufacturing processes.
- Experience designing rack mount equipment and ATR type enclosures a plus.
- Experience with PICMG ATCA and µTCA specifications a plus.
- Utilize computer skills to prepare appropriate reports and documents. (MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Must be able to work on many different projects at one time and be results-oriented
- Demonstrated critical thinking, analytic skills and problem solving
- Must be accurate, detail-oriented, and organized
- General understanding of electronics and components is preferable