ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The sr. digital design engineer designs new digital firmware products by coding the HDL structure and logic that is necessary for the products to function. The digital design engineer will then test and verify the combined HDL and board-level circuitry including digital and mixed signal designs in a lab setting. The engineer should keep up-to-date with the latest developments in the technology field in order to determine trends and to find out what the competition is creating. The engineer will also continuously evaluate existing digital products in order to determine if changes or updates need to be made. The digital design engineer may work with consumers to determine their wants and needs for new products. The engineer will also test and support the products directly with end users to determine problems with the products and then conceive and implement the solutions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Work with board designer to determine optimal pin-out of FPGA/CPLD parts during schematic design
* Prototype FPGA/CPLD interface logic to ensure pin-out/design feasibility
* Develop HDL reference designs and/or final implementations using cutting edge parts from vendors such as Xilinx, Altera (Intel), MicroSemi, and Lattice
* Document designs using design diagrams, user manuals, and register specifications
* Debug/troubleshoot in the lab new board designs by using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, in-circuit debugging, etc.
* Develop (or be able to work closely with a software engineer who will develop) device drivers and diagnostic software applications to drive the FPGA/CPLD design
* Support customers as needed via e-mail, phone, or (rarely) in-person
Qualifications and Education Requirements
* Requires BSEE/BSCS
* 7+ years’ experience in Digital Design
* Knowledge and in-depth understanding of the VHDL language is required
* Prior experience with high performance FPGA interface design and optimization techniques.
* Understanding of how to interface FPGA/CPLD designs to external CPUs/software is required
* Experience with high-speed SERDES interfacing of FPGAs using off-the-shelf IP (PCIe, 40GbE, XAUI, 1000Base-X/SGMII, JESD204 ADC/DAC, Aurora/SerialLite, iBERT, etc.)
* Experience with high-speed memory interfacing of FPGAs using off-the-shelf IP (DDR3, DDR4, QDRII+, etc.)
* Hands-on experience testing and debugging systems implemented with single board computers, complex microcontroller, or digital signal processing systems
* an understanding of the software/firmware lifecycle and strong structured coding practices
* ABILITY TO HANDLE JOB STRESS AND INTERACT EFFECTIVELY WITH OTHERS IN THE WORKPLACE
* Ability to work quickly, efficiently, and with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, short time-to-market engineering environment
* FLUENT EXPRESSION OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE: ABILITY TO READ, WRITE, AND SPEAK ENGLISH WELL
* ABILITY TO CARRY OUT DETAILED WRITTEN AND ORAL INSTRUCTIONS
* MASTER’S DEGREE in Electrical Engineering/Computer science
* Experience with C software device driver development for controlling FPGAs/CPLDs
* Technical Capacity
* high ethical conduct
* Organizational skills
* Communication Proficiency: oral and written
* independent judgement
* ability to work independently
* ability to multitask while producing quality output
* Presentation Skills
* Teamwork Orientation
* Project Management
* indoors/engineering labs/manufacturing floor
the physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
* sitting and standing for long hours
* Ability to move around the facility, climbing stairs as necessary, bends down and reaches up
* frequently communicates with others. must be able to exchange accurate information verbally and in writing
* Constantly operates a computer and other standard office equipment such as phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
* Ability to handle and lift objects weighing up to 25 lbs. alone; ability to lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs. in a two person lift
* Read or write and interpret data
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate management’s assignment of essential functions and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign and reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.